Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pienza and Montalcino

This past weekend Karl and I took a long, relaxing trip to Pienza and Montalcino (two small towns in Southern Tuscany near Sienna). We wanted to go somewhere that didn't require too much walking/touring due to my 'largeness' and we definitely picked the right places.
.
We stayed at Casa Frati, an awesome agriturismo (like and B&B), and just loved it; it is a working farm and we got to play with piggies, horses, chickens, and cattle (well we didn't play with them, but we did pet them). Thanks Leighanna and Ben for suggesting Casa Frati and Pienza!
.
We took this pic when we went out for a drive on the 4th of July. It was such a beautiful house out in the middle of nowhere- it reminded us of all the pictures you ever see of Tuscany!
Knocking to see if anyone was home in Montalcino :) While out on one of our drives, we ran across this incredibly old church outside the city walls of Pienza. There was no one around except the pigeons in the bell tower- it was almost a little scary just because we were all alone with what seems like a ghost church. Karl in front of one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen. Outside our door at Casa Frati- it's no wonder we loved this place so much!
Karl and I were out walking by the pool and one of the other guests at Casa Frati took this for us. That's right- this is the view at the pool! Another view from our 4th of July drive around the countryside...
Karl at the main square in Montalcino. Montalcino is a beautiful hilltop town known for it's Brunello wine (it seems that every other shop is a wine shop or as they are called 'enotecas'). I didn't get to try the wine, but Karl had a great time doing just that and we bought a few bottles so I can some next month :) One of the bottles actually has a picture of this clock tower on the label! Karl doing some sampling...I was sooooo jealous! Looking over the wall at Montalcino...so pretty!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love the pictures. I am glad to see that you are enjoying all of your time out there esp. before the baby comes!

I would love for you to add me, I need to set that up as well and I will add your name to mine when I figure it out. Hope you have a good day =)