Sunday, March 2, 2008

Roma!

The past few days have been absolutely wonderful, so I thought a blog would be fun! Last week, Karl got back from a long trip to Germany and we had a belated bday for me and he got me some really neat, German gifts. Then on Thursday, Karl started his week and a half of vacation/leave and we drove up to Rome so we could pick up our first ever house guests! Jean Gardner (my second mom basically) and Ashleigh and Dan Volker (great friends of ours) have come to visit for about two weeks and we're trying to see/do everything possible! Karl and I had a nice afternoon and evening in Rome and then the gang got in Friday morning- they are such troopers; after an all-night flight, we went and hit all the big Roman spots and then drove back to Napoli that night. Yesterday, we slept in a little bit, then spent the afternoon in downtown Naples and came back home for a nice, homecooked meal. Today Jean, Ash, and Dan headed out to Capri and Karl and I hung back at the house to regain some energy (the baby and I needed some couch time) and since we've been to Capri, we figured it was a good day to stay home.
.
We have a busy week ahead of us with three days in Florence then Pompeii, Sorento, and Naples Underground (look for some great blogging ahead)!
.
Thought I'd throw this picture in the bunch- introducing my dark hair and baby bump! This is us at 17 weeks and already in maternity clothes!
One of the hallways in the Vatican Museum leading to the Rapheal Rooms and Sistine Chapel- so beautiful! The School of Athens by Raphael- I never knew how huge this fresco is- couldn't even get the whole thing in a picture! Sorry some of the indoor shots are blurry, but you can't use flashes :( The picture we snuck in the Sistine Chapel (photography is a very big no-no), but we figured they can't do too much to us- pregnant women get away with murder in Italy! I can't even explain how breathtaking this was. Karl and I just sat on a bench and stared at the ceiling for what seemed like forever. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life! After a very wonderful dinner, we took a walk along the Tiber. This is the Castle Sant'Angelo; built in 123 AD, it was a papal castle for over 1000 years- a viaduct that let the popes escape here in times of crisis. A view from the castle onto the Tiber...soooo pretty! Rome Day 2! Karl and I in front of the Arch of Constantine.
Karl, me, Ash, and Dan in the Roman Forum ruins- to the right of us are the remaining columns of the Temple of Julius Caesar. Ash, me, and Jean posing with part of the fallen ruins (we think this was part of a column way back when). Karl and I at the Trevi Fountain (I am nursing a bottle of Coke that I consider the most expensive soda in the history of the world- that stupid Coke cost 6 euro!!! that's like $8!)! Karl, Ash, and Dan with the Colosseum behind them- the weather wasn't great all day- it did rain a tid bit. We're having so much fun with our friends and can't wait to explore more this week- we'll have lots of great posts :) Ciao!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It looks like you are having a wonderful time out there!

I saw that you had a baby countdown on the side of your blog. How did you do that? I would love to add one to mine because everyone is always asking!! Your little bump is soo cute....I am finally starting to get one myself. But it has taken FOREVER!!

A.K. said...

glad they made it there safely!

Your little bump is the cutest little baby bump ever! can't wait to find out if it is a girl or boy, only like 15 more days!

Unknown said...

Hi little sis! Beautiful pics of ruins, and I love the new hair color. is that the mom hair? cute baby bump-you can tell the kid will be a looker. miss you bunches-thought you were going to call last week? hope you're feeling well. love and kisses for all. and happy birthday, old lady!

Anonymous said...

Love the new pictures! We had such an amazing time in Italy. Thanks again for being such great hosts.

Good luck at your appointment on Monday. I can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl!