Sunday, August 10, 2008

Quick Update

I thought I'd write a quick post and let everyone know what's been going on the past few days in case you've been trying to get in touch with us or just wondering how life with Parker is.  To start from the beginning, we had a rough 27 hour labor that didn't progress well which led to a c-section.  Recovering from that surgery is not a quick or painless process and it kept us in the hospital until late Sunday night last week.  We finally got home with our little bundle of joy and struggled to keep weight on him since breastfeeding has been very hard on him (he dropped all the way down to 5 lbs 10 oz)! 
.
Everything was starting to look up until Wednesday night when I noticed that I had a fever, so I went in to the ER and they admitted me for a uterus infection and a hematoma.  Without getting into too many details, let's just say it was a very horrible and painful experience.  I just got discharged yesterday and my mom flew into Naples this morning to help out as I heal (we need her here sooooooo much and love her so much for coming on such short notice!).  
.
Just thought I'd give everyone an update and let you know why we haven't been in touch and might not be for a few more days.  Parker and I are doing fine and he is even gaining weight again!  We'll try and get some more pics up soon- miss and love all of you!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry to hear that you have had a rough couple of days, it will get better. I did not have a c section but i def. agree that recovery is NOT fun.

Reiley had a REAL hard time with breastfeeding as well in the beginning. She would not latch on and got soo upset and frusterated. I continued to try to get her to nurse every 2 hours in a nice and quiet room with music. I was also pumping to try to get my milk to come in as soon as possible. I fed her the stuff I pumped in a dropper just to make sure she was getting something. I did not give a bottle because they are easier for them and a lot of times babies will not eat from the breast if they are given a bottle alot , I just didnt want to get stuck pumping all the time...personal opinion tho! Each time we tried to nurse if she latched on I would let her stay on as long as she wanted but once she came off I did not try again until the next feeding time. I didn't want to over do it, eventually she caught on. I also gave her a pacifier ( the green one in a lot of my pictures called soothie) the hospital said that one was the closest to the sucking they do on the breast.

I hope some of this helped, if you are having issues still call a lactation consultant. I talked to one from our hospital and she was a LOT of help! Good luck with it all, breast feeding is a lot of work in the beginning but it gets better. It is all worth it. =) let me know if u need anything

Amy Nicole Hulett said...

HI Laura! Just wanted to say Ciao and tell you I've been thinking about you often :) Amanda has been filling me in on your progress and Im so happy to hear things are getting EASIER! Hooray for mom coming and that baby eating finally ") Give your hubby lots of hugs for all that wonderful help, they tend to get forgotten with all the baby and body issues! Hope to see you and talk to you soon. Scott's on travel all week so its just me and the kiddos. Call me if you ever need to chat.....Amy

A.K. said...

my thing didn't recognize that you had posted anything new- so i just happen to check your blog- sorry it took me so long to comment! can't wait to talk to you!