Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Life is crazy here!

I know everyone wants to see pictures and I promise to get those up as soon as possible! Karl and I just wanted everyone to know that we're actually getting settled here in Napoli and even bought a car (not the bmw, but a nice honda civic) and once I figure out stick shift, I will be a woman on the go! Another exciting bit of news is that Karl and I got a house today!!! It is beautiful and sits on a private family orchard way up on a hill overlooking the entire Bay of Naples. It's not huge, but has a kitchen, living room, 2 baths, and 3 bedrooms (plenty of room for company) and it also has a large garden and rooftop patio. The view is honestly worth a million dollars and we have peach and fig trees growing in our back yard! We won't be moving in until September though because Italians go on vacation in August and nothing gets done (not to mention the normal slow pace of life here doesn't help to speed up the process).
Karl and I have been in orientation this week and do a tour with the other newcomers tomorrow. We plan on going to Pompeii and Rome this weekend (it seems crazy to say things like that!). Thanks for all the wellwishes and we miss you all- and I will try to get some pictures up this weekend!

5 comments:

A.K. said...

you better get my room ready because i'm planning on coming out-especially if you have peaches!!! yum- can't wait- have fun being the tourist you are- sounds so esquisite (spelling?) all the places you are going!!

love that we can share this military lifestyle together- how great!

Claire said...

So glad you guys are getting settled in Italy. Your house sounds beautiful. Reminds me of something out of "Under the Tuscan Sun"! Can't wait to visit, too! Everyone here is doing great, by the way...except we miss you guys. Barbie and Jason have their house on the market, and will be building a home in Rolesville. You guys just keep leaving! :( Steph is as energetic as ever, and yes he still only wears underwear around the house. Some things never change. Sophia is really growing fast these days, and you wouldn't believe how big my stomach is already. And I'm not due for another 4 months! Take care guys, and send us some pictures of beautiful Naples when you get the chance!

Sincerely,
Claire :)

Blakely said...

I love you...and miss you both so much. I am so glad you are getting settled (slowly, but surely, even though I know that is driving you crazy...)

I can't wait to hear from you and see some pictures. Keep me updated and get ready for a visitor!!! I want to come in January!

Your house sounds beautiful - congratulations! And, congrats on the car as well, you will pick up stick quickly...you're a smart girl. Miss you guys!!

Barbie, Jason and Logan said...

Hey Guys!

I am sorry that I missed your attempts to Skype me before you left. I still wasn't home yet when you tried to call and Jason does not know anything about it.

It sounds lovely there. I hope that you are happy and have lots of fun.

Logan is getting bigger each and every day. He will now stand on his own without holding anything, but he still isn't walking yet. I keep praying that he will walk in two weeks so that I can see him do it before he goes back to daycare and they get to see it first, but I guess I will just have to wait and see. We bought Logan his first pair of walking shoes from Stride Rite. They are oh so cute, but expensive. $42 for baby shoes that will last an average of three months. I hope he learns to like them. We had to buy him extra-wide. Even wide wasn't wide enough. He has little Fred Flinstone feet. He starts daycare in Rolesville in two weeks. It is always difficult to transition back to work after a long summer break. Hopefully, we will both transition well.

I just finished another graduate school class. This one was crazy. I don't know what planet my professor came from, but the workload was somewhat overwhelming. I am happy that I now have two weeks to enjoy not doing hours of grad work every day.

Well, I look forward to seeing pictures of everything and making plans to come visit.

By the way, it was fun interviewing about Karl. They asked a ton of questions. I guess they wanted to make sure that I knew him well enough to be a reliable source. It was like being on Jeopardy or something and the category was Karl. Funny, huh?

Well, look forward to hearing from you both.

Charles Tips said...

im going to live vicariously through you guys, what an insane dream you guys are living, all the best from the U.S. we all miss and love you soooooo much! Thanks for keeping everyone informed!